Sunday, January 2, 2011

Snow Globe

I love Martha Stewart's magazine and I would love to be more "Marth Stewart-ish" (without the jail time). I found this wonderful snow globe idea from Martha Stewart and knew T would love it since he enjoys making things. This was a fun, inexpensive in-door activity that we did as a family on Christmas Eve.

What you need
1. Almost any jar works for this project: Baby-food, pimiento, and olive jars are good choices or you can get a clean jar from Hobby Lobby for only 99 cents when they are 50% off.

2. Plastic or ceramic figurines (metal ones are prone to rust) at flea markets and hobby or model-railroad shops. Synthetic evergreen tips are available at many floral-supply stores. T picked a deer and a tree out of his toys to use. I loved this because he saw another way to use his toys, it got some off the floor and I didn't have to buy anything.

3. Oil-based enamel paint to paint the lid if you use an old jar lid and it is not in seasonal colors already
4. Sandpaper
5. Epoxy
6. Distilled water (I got this for 88 cents at Earthfare because I had to spend $5 to get a free product. Every week they have an item you can get free when you spend $5 so go check our their webpage.)
7. Glitter
8. Glycerin (available at drugstores) I did not know what glycerin was until I went to CVS and found out it is a liquid suppository. I was printing off a picture so my sweet sister-in-law, Kella, and T went to ask where we could find glycerin. Thank goodness Kella has a sense of humor and we got a good laugh out of it (and so did everyone else in the store). Needless to say I don't think Kella will be going back to CVS with me anytime soon. LOL.

Sand the inside of the lid until the surface is rough. With clear-drying epoxy, adhere the figurine to the inside of the lid, and let the epoxy dry. You can find epoxy at Hobby Lobby (I used another 40% off coupon for it).

Fill the jar almost to the top with distilled water; add a pinch of glitter and a dash of glycerin to keep the glitter from falling too quickly. Don't add too much, or the glitter will stick to the bottom of the jar when it's flipped. Screw on the lid tightly, being careful not to dislodge the figurine. Turn the jar over and back again -- and let it snow.

Thank you Martha for this wonderful activity!!

With all of the supplies




No comments: